How often do you take a look at the journey a potential customer makes to do business with you?
If the answer is never, then I’d like to suggest you take a look – and quickly!
Let me give you an example…
I found a company online that provided branded coasters in what appeared to be exactly the colour and style I wanted for a client. It was after 5.30pm, so I used their “Click here for a quick quotation” link. “Fantastic” I thought – the quote will come first thing in the morning and I can get that ticked off the list.
Wrong! I did get an email before 9am the next day, but wanting to know my company name, address and phone number. When I replied I got another email asking me if I was to be invoiced or the client.
When I replied saying it didn’t matter, but it was urgent – I didn’t hear anything back.
Eventually at 1.30pm I called – only to be told he was busy, and there were people away today. When I asked why it couldn’t have been done first thing this morning, I was told I couldn’t be set up on “the system” until these details had been added.
And therein lies the problem…
They are making it far too difficult for someone to become a customer:
- If they need that level of detail it should have been included in the website form on the link
- Getting a quote shoudn’t be that difficult
- They set expectations by saying “quick quotation”
What can you learn from this?
- If there are any links or buttons on your website that suggest you can provide a quick price, or offer speedy delivery – is this really true? If not, don’t say you can offer it
- How many questions do you really need to ask a potential customer before giving a price? Clearly, for a product sale, less detail is usually required, than for a service based business
- How well trained are your team? Do they have the skills and ability to respond efficiently when someone calls and is clearly disappointed?
- Are you guilty of over promising and under delivering? Far better to reverse that – then you are left with a delighted person far more likely to become a customer…
So, check out your customer journey, and make sure it is the best it can be.
If you’d like some help with getting your marketing sorted,
give us a call on 01256 83 11 10.
Registered office address: Unit 14 Faraday Court | Rankine Road | Basingstoke | Hampshire | RG24 8PF
Registered No: 4440964 Registered in England & Wales
© Copyright 2021 Bang Consulting Limited